Friday, August 24, 2007

All Things White and Airy


This is our kitchen (above) in need of a paint job!




I am reliving a love affair with all things Scandinavian - especially the white walls, white floor boards, quirky and hyggeligt (means cosy but more...one of those untranslatables) with beautiful fabrics and textures and interesting found and designed objects/furniture. They just have a way that I think, having lived in Denmark for two and a half years, has a lot to do with spending a good deal of time indoors due to long, dark winters and therefore needing to make the inner environment light and airy and beautiful to be in for hours on end. In considering what to do with our little semi detached Melbourne house, I keep going back to this idea. Essentially our house is full of light with big windows and I can see it glowing and feeling spacious with a white paint job and colourful bits all around. You can see more photos of Mettes gorgeous apartment (the other two photos above are of her place) on her blog which is full of other beautiful things including her children's clothing and pottery. It seems Mette lives not far from Arhus where I lived. It was an interesting time for me, learning the language, getting married, rushing home to be with my mother as she died, marriage ending not long after and I haven't been back since. Feels like another life entirely now. But I would go back in a second to see everyone, being on good terms with my ex and felling like there is still a connection to the place.

1 comment:

Fixie Foo said...

Hi Kirti,

I absolutely love your blog and have just bookmarked it - I'll be back here for sure :). I so share your aesthetic for the white white white, especially gorgeous white painted floorboard, yum! We did that in our loft.

Check out the loft here:
http://fixiefoo.typepad.com/fixies_shelf/2006/07/home_sweet_home.html

And our newly whitened kitchen here:
http://fixiefoo.typepad.com/fixies_shelf/2007/06/my_dream_kitche.html

And this wonderful book which totally inspired me to make the changes:
http://fixiefoo.typepad.com/fixies_shelf/2006/12/home_sanctuary.html

Look forward to meeting you!
Love Fixiefoo xx