Friday, January 28, 2011






We had 6 adults and 4 kids at home over the weekend - it was wonderful - music, food and laughter - most of it happening in our back garden. Then we went to Somers for three days to stay at a friend's beach house. The kids are in heaven with sand, water and rocks. It all reminded me of my own childhood; being out in the surf until the salt stung my eyes and my body ached from catching waves; going to bed with sand mysteriously in every nook and cranny even after a long shower; people in our house all summer, kids all bunked down on mattresses in one room, parents drinking wine, playing John Denver and sleeping in while we rattled around happily in the morning as long as someone put some food out for us! I remember the blissful awareness that I was still up way past my usual bed time. Summer seemed endless and we were sun kissed, bright eyed and a bit feral.

I enrolled in music school yesterday and met some of my class mates - 17 years olds with strong musical opinion/identity and so happy to share stories. One girl (who plays bass) Said "I know it sounds dumb but I just discovered Stevie Wonder and I've been listening to him non-stop for the last month!" Excellent. I am in good company.

I will leave the land of organic fruit and veg behind - it has been kind to me for the last 7 years. I'm on the hunt for a piano. Maybe electric even. And I dream of learning the fiddle and stepping up at an Irish session and letting it rip, or glide according to the mood.....

6 comments:

Red Hen (dette) said...

look at those little ones having fun! I love that car, Chicky babe and I made a life sized mermaid that inspired a story that we always say we are going to write. She's just enrolled in literary and cultural studies at uni so you never know she may be inspired to write it. All the best with your piano hunt- I have my great grandmothers old piano sitting in the hall, she used to play the score for the silent movies at the local cinema when she was young. Unfortunately it is rarely played it's a shame you don't live near by to be able to come and visit and play it every now and then.

Alpha Betti said...

You just described a Perth summer in the seventies sublimely. Except we had Hot August Night and someone always cried because they had too much wine and I'm pretty sure I could smell adultery in the air. It felt like leaning just a little too far over the edge of a cliff. Oh dear, those awful Cunninghams.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Hey there Kirti, just hoping that your lovely garden has not been affected with the flash floods that have been reported this week!

Laura said...

Congratulations Kirti on starting your new music course. How wonderful, the beginning of a new exciting chapter. Well done and i know you'll soar like an eagle! XX

Eumenides Treason said...

How wonderful re your new beginnings! Does that mean that I will not bump into you at the fruit and veg shop? Perhaps we can catch up once our oven is done and your mob can come over for pizza?

Anonymous said...

You just described a Perth summer in the seventies sublimely.

Kumo
Phuquoc homestay
Myanmar tourism