Monday, January 14, 2008

A Huge Splinter in the Palm is Worth Three when You're in the Middle of Moving House

OUCH. My poor husband is in Emergency as I type, with a God Almighty Splinter protruding both ends through the fleshy part of his thumb. Gulp. Battling Ivy in the garden in stage one of pack- and- prepare- to -vacate- house. They're talking plastic surgery. At least he has 5 weeks holiday from now on. It was an eye opening moment when I realised that we had no car, no available cash for taxi and no ambulance membership and that we are currently, in such situations dependent on the good will of neighbours. Fortunately they are fabulous.

We had such a lovely slow weekend with stillness and music and eating and friends staying the night. The kind of weekend where we were oblivious to the time, where we ate when we were hungry, where the guitars were constantly picked up and plucked, where the kiddies reveled in us all just being together in one place. I truly appreciate friends who aren't in a hurry to leave and with whom one can move with the general energy and flow of the day.

I will miss the light in this house and the view of trees from every window. I will miss the insulation that has it be 10 degrees cooler inside on a hot hot day and I will miss the exquisite violin playing I hear from over the back fence from time to time, and I will miss the friends with whom we spontaneously pop over to visit because we live so close. I will not miss the bathroom nor the ivy.

We are out of here on the weekend and then we fly to WA the following week for a two week holiday with family and friends which will be our first holiday together in three years. I'm thinking beach and not a whole lot else. My father lives 5 minutes from some of the most glorious coast in all the land. Whenever I'm there I find it hard to believe that I left such wholesome geography, which granted does not provide many of the culinary, creative, and cosmopolitan delights that Melbourne can, but of itself can offer a great deal to a family who in actual fact only utilises one of the above (food). For me it obviously has a lot to do with spending my childhood there near the ocean, but also the general laid back pace, the sense of space and the access to nature and family. I love the forest and the shadows cast by trees on the highways in the golden dusk light and the sunset over the ocean and the dependable sea breeze. WA is far away from everything (except divine beaches) and never a cheap option flight wise but it's still home. Whenever I walk out of Perth airport there's a familiar smell and a feeling that settles my cells and my soul. There are people there who have known me all my life. It's romantic yes and would mean leaving some very dear people here. So we will go there together and see how it feels. Maybe it's time to go back. Many of my friends have done so and say that it's the best thing they could have done for their family life. I suppose we will know.

No crafting been done of late but once moved I have a doll to make. I'm hoping that When The House Settles we can squeeze out a new Sewing Machine for moi. For the good of the whole family. For the sake of creative joy and daily sanity. For practical necessity.For the promotion of the beautification of the world in general. Any thoughts on a good model?

No comments: