Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Felt frenzy





I love it. If I could make everything out of felt I would. It's so easy to work with and soft and colourful and I'm slightly obsessed with it at the moment. I made the needle pouch for practical reasons but also just as a fun quick thing to do. No big projects going on just yet though today I think today may be the day I actually start Beau's doll. I've been procrastinating for a while now and watch me as I continue to type on in this post, avoiding bringing the materials out of their hiding place.....

We bought a large $2 bargain fake Christmas tree at the local op shop. I had intended to go out into the bush and find the perfect branch that would be more authentic to our Australian Christmas, but there it was looking exactly like the one I grew up with, promising to endure Christmases from here into the next decade or more, and I was filled with sentimentality. Beau and I found old wooden decorations at the op shop too. I've considered the possible lameness of placing so much aesthetic importance on the Tree but really it's part of the magic. We can always do with more magic. Have it dripping from every nook and cranny when possible I say.

6 comments:

fifi said...

Just as long as they aren't angophora branches....





I just had a memory of my love affair with felt, when I was in primary I made the entire universe from felt and blanket stitch...
somewhere I still have tiny finger puppets I made when I was 10, and a needlecase too.
I still get excited when I see pretty colours, because all my felt was pretty basic colourwise.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Your felt work is lovely. I particularly like your little needle case, combining beauty and practicallity- lovely! I made myself a little needle book some time ago with paisley fabric, I really have a thing for paisley, I get joy from that little needle book every time I bring it out and it is so much easier to use than a mess of needles in your pin tin! And it kind of links you to the traditions of the past too...nice.

Silver Bee said...

great to/see hug you the other day.
big love and drippy magic for all your nooks and crannies!!!! no rudeness intended.

Silver Bee said...

p.s. your dress was stunning the other day.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Have you done your singing gigs yet? Wondering how they went?

Jo Windmill said...

Lovely to see you are felting madly!! I have finally started to felt and blog again! Yippee to having time!

Love Jo