Saturday, March 24, 2007

Baring of Bones

To blog or not to blog I have often considered. I've marveled at the output of all the countless creative sister bloggers I frequently visit and have wondered how you find the time......but you do and I will. I have kept a diary since I was 14 (now 39) and this seems like a logical step to take! The change of weather has arrived this early autumn Melbourne day. Glorious rain and cool wind. My two year old sleeps, my partner is out for a while, and the house is not too chaotic so here I am writing my first blog posting. It's like sitting in front of a blank canvas. A bit daunting, a bit exciting, and just mundane enough to be able to get on with it eventually. We bought our little house almost a year ago in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. A good deal further than I ever thought we would live from the ocean and a good deal of work to do on the house but I've always looked forward to having my own home, a place that would become a life size art work in progress. Just like life really and all the other sub-works we fill it with!!?? As for the Blog name - Skeleton Woman is my favourite story of all time, told and 'unpacked' so beautifully by Christina Pinkola Estes in Women Who Run With The Wolves. You must find a copy and read the chapter if you haven't already, and marvel at it's poignancy. I read it so many times and was inspired to write songs and paint . Isn't that creative heaven when one thing, one piece of something, one image, fills you to the brim. Skeleton Woman has been right by me rattling her bones whenever I've needed her - negotiating difficult relationships; entering into relationship with my now husband which is good and rich and real; at the home birth of our beautiful boy when I felt my own bones being rattled and transformed forever; grieving the death of my mother finally after 12 years; whenever the winds of change shake me up and render me restless.....and she reminds me to keep a sense of humour too. When I start to feel wobbly I just imagine everyone without their skin on!

No comments: