Sunday, November 16, 2008

bread baking




Have been having great success in the sour dough bread making department. Lovely crusty topped loaves; a mix of spelt, rye and rice flour and lots of seeds, made from a thirteen year old leaven of which I now seem to have a great excess (so very happy to share it out along with recipe).

Tonight's dough (above pic) looks as though it may not rise....could it be the cool change? Perhaps one day I will know the great secrets.

On to yoghurt next. It's the farmer's wife within me, begging for expression. "Jam, lemon butter, pumpkin scones, strawberry sponge cake" she whispers. I am at her mercy.

Half an hour later - the baker is pleased to announce that the dough DOES in fact appear to be expanding. Crusty evidence coming soon...

2 comments:

fifi said...

What is a thirteen year old leaven??


I must have drowned my inner farmers wife a long time ago. I should give her a shout one of these days!

Kirti said...

If my spelling is correct, leaven is the sour dough starter which is basically flour fermented in warm water and 'fed' over a period of weeks until it gets all bubbly and beery. It's a beautiful thing. Inner farmer's wives will get you all excited about fermented flour. Yours will be in there somewhere planning a bake off.....