Friday, November 28, 2008

Zen and the Art of Sewing Machine Maintenance

I thought I needed a new sewing machine. For three years I have cursed the Toyota, "should stick to making cars"..etc etc and lots of swearing. I lent it to a friend, it came back missing the foot and has been in storage ever since.

I took it to Donvale to buy a new one/have it serviced/fixed/get a new foot....whatever it would take. Graham gave me a free foot and half an hour's teaching on the practice of presence and patience and correct sewing machine use. I was doing it ALL wrong. When I asked if I could pay him for his tutorial he said "No, I just feel that if people know how to use their machines properly then they will enjoy sewing. Then sewing will be a happy experience."

I took my Toyota home, put it on the table, set about to practice all that my master taught me, experienced the bliss he had promised and found myself humbly apologising to the machine for all the abuse I have so unnecessarily flung in its direction.

4 comments:

Silver Bee said...

tension tension tension. the correct needle for the job. and oil.

i love looking after my machine! thank goodness i don't have a car or I'd be out the front waxing it every weekend...

Silver Bee said...

mountain love is the best love of all.

love you back. ten-fold.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Glad to hear you've got the sewing machine thing fixed. Maybe I need to take a bit of time to learn more about the computer! I does tend to frustrate me no end when it doesn't work! Happy sewing.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Hey follow the link on my blog to have a look at the freo art centre Bazaar. Is this toby your friend toby?