Thursday, November 27, 2008




Feeling incredibly grateful for the work I get to do; painting cups and drinking tea with sweet Bridget, mama's work (this week especially the making of the advent calendar above ), rehearsing amazing Appalachian songs for 2 gigs in December, helping to organise child care for Rinpoche's retreats next year and then the more intense but but thankfully transformative work that k and I are having to put into our relationship at the moment. Diverse, flexible, creative and shared - text book Sagittarian heaven. I have managed to avoid full time employment pretty much all my adult life much to the chagrin of my family who have always regarded my alternative ways as somewhat worrying. There are times when I have doubted whether it is possible to live a truly simple life and provide a family with all basic needs, particularly early last year. For us, being out of the city definitely helps. I find myself less concerned about material things and more resourceful and content with the environment around me. I'm less concerned about my appearance (although if I had a mirror I may be more so)and what people think of me and my choices. The simplicity of our needs reflects in the work that we are choosing. I feel like we have the freedom to be much more ethically and creatively motivated. I know it's not everyone's idea of a comfortable existence; we certainly go without a great deal of comforts and convenience but I think we are more and more changing our idea of what those things are for us. I don't think we have all the answers and I don't judge anyone for the way they choose to live. I'm simply reflecting on this here life warts and all and it is good.

2 comments:

Silver Bee said...

i haven't had a proper job either. whoops!

hey. bet if i saw you right now you would be even more beautiful than ever. SERIOUSLY you may be the most attractive woman i know. even more so out of the rat race.

it sounds like you are living a very authentic life and i applaud you for that. I'm getting itchy footsies just reading your blog.

kisses and a big fat group hug to the fam

fifi said...

I have always had so much work and have wished it were otherwise. Funny how you envisage a life very different to the one you end up in sometimes. Anyway, i get to imagine my imaginary life by looking at yours.
Once upon a life i would be getting crafty in december but i m just tired: can't imagine settling to it.

love the cups.