Tuesday, August 5, 2008

memoires


Msaims, Esti, Fifi re your comments; It's as if we can't help ourselves isn't it! From diaries to blogs, writing and recording, photographing and painting. Catching memories and moments before they fly off, for our children,ourselves, far away family. I never would have shared my diaries, but this blog is different. It's because of other people that it exists. With my diaries there was always the threat of exposure yet here I can't wait to find out that someone has read my thoughts and seen into my life. We share what we can and the rest is happily left on the inside or positioned ambiguously on a painting or a song or such like. I have all my visual diaries from art school and I still keep a diary, sporadically, often i write when I just need to sort out my thoughts or a chunk of time has passed and Beau has moved into a new realm and I want to describe it all. I followed pregnancy and his birth and I've kept aside photos and ultrasound and god lord even the pregnancy test??!! So that one day I can make a little book that will be the prelude to this. Amanda had the contents of her blog turned into a book at one point which I thought was a wonderful idea. I wonder how long we will all keep this up?

Beau at 3 months

The other night I went to dinner with 6 of my mama friends (and sadly forgot to take my camera!!!). We all had kids around the same time and started our own little playgroup. They are gorgeous women, beautiful, youthful, loving mamas, talented and easy to be with. It's been nearly 4 years since we had a gathering without children by our sides and we spent the night eating, drinking tea, talking intensely and laughing. So much laughing! We were the last to leave and parted wearily but reluctantly and with the promise to do it again soon. I will miss these women. We have been through the biggest times of our lives. But I realised too that these experiences connect all mothers in some way or another and that on the other side of the country there will be friends with whom I might pick up where I left off here. And the joy of blogging friendships is that you can take them wherever you go! So I'm sad and excited all at once!

3 comments:

Red Hen (dette) said...

I destroyed my diaries too (LIke fifi - thank god!) not so my art folios I burnt them in a fit of artistic pique not once but three times in my life and that I do regret. I like the blogs because they are interactive and people share and encourage and you can find kindred spirits form all parts of the globe. I don't know about you but in a private diary I had a tendency to wallow in the angst of a situation and some of the diary entries just had to be burnt! In a blog you can share you worries, fears or darker moments but you I tend to be able to laugh at myself a little more in this format....Maybe I'm just growing up a bit!

Esti said...

I totally agree with you... and I won't forget to peek into your life wherever you post from. I like to discover life through somebody else's eyes. I learn so much from so far... isn't that amazing. I often wonder too how long this will last... and at the moemnt I find no answer. Let's see what the future will bring...
:)

Silver Bee said...

i feel i've come to know you on a deeper level through the blog than if you were just coming to the caf. it's been great getting to know you all and i love that we'll stay in touch this way. i can't wait to find out what comes next for the skeleton woman.

you are a very clever and beautiful person.

aims.
here here little red hen. what a spot on comment.