Sunday, August 3, 2008

Super 8 Date





Back to the country to visit L and M, where they set up the Super 8 projector so that we could watch the film of us all 35 years ago! Amazing. I'd forgotten how much hair Dad had, how groovy Mum's red flairs were, how small we once were, how wide and quiet our street, how 'Country Town' Perth truly was.....so many things in 10 minutes. Many memories for us all, a big history, many miles crossed to see each other over many years. A slight tinge of regret at burning my 30 odd diaries 9 years ago. I'd been keeping them since i was 13 and one night in Byron Bay I made a fire in the back yard of the house I was sitting, and burned them all one by one. At the time it felt like a very important shedding. Now and then though I think there have been times like that where I have been too hasty to 'liberate' certain objects from my possession. But you just never know how you will feel in the future, as a parent, with paths converging and vague memories surfacing , and the backdrop of that past about to become the present once more!

One day when all our things are in the one place again, out of boxes and in my hands, I will post some old photos.Perhaps you might like to post some of yours! I think there has been a Flashback Friday thang going on around the blogosphere.

3 comments:

Silver Bee said...

i was thinking about burning some diaries. considered editing them so i have all the important memories and dates recorded and then burning away all the other blah. perhaps the blah is equally important but i am feeling the urge to down size and strip away. (however the super 8 and the old photos stay.)

yes to a catch-up in your garden if thats ok.
ms

Esti said...

I relate to your post so much!
a couple of years back my gramma gathered the whole family for a christmas meal and afterwards a cousin got the super 8 out and we had an incredible two hour session. It was amazing to see all what my grandfather had filmed of us as kids. And most of all, I realized that my eldest daughter moves, walks, gestures now as I did then. What a tremendous discovery!
I don't keep diaries or written memories, but I keep all the pictures and movies. And of course, there's the blog
:)

fifi said...

i burned my diaries too, and all i can say is
thank goodness!

we never did the film thing when I was little, but I wish we had.

and
that child is so delightful.