Wednesday, February 4, 2009

soundtrack of a life

Listening to the Cocteau Twins - Lullabies to Violaine, remixes, extended, alternate versions of all the goodness that is their ethereally textured and tongued music, that has at so many times in my life kept me together - through a drawn out break up with my first boyfriend,on long train journeys across Europe, in the lonely closet of a room in Tooting Bec, cleaning at 7am in an empty cafe in Covent Garden for less than respectful employers, in dappled green lit danish forests, on foot over the London Bridge searching for a friend, and on one memorable occasion on a mountain top at midnight on a tiny Greek island with a beautiful young french/greek man who shared the same love of the Twins and whisked me up there on his motor bike...
Some music brings you to earth, some stirs you up, some makes you want to move, some goes deep and pulls at what lies beneath, some casts you gracefully and soulfully up and out of the mind. The latter is the Cocteau Twins for me. Them and a little Mazzy Star too. What does it for you?

5 comments:

fifi said...

So many things...but here are two:

Allegri's Miserere for hot thoughts

Vivaldi's Winter....for remembering...


What IS that divine Blue thing in your banner picture???

Kirti said...

I'm sure I've heard Miserere, will listen again! Vivaldi always.
Blue/purple thing is my favourite dress up from our box, rather shredded and way too small for me but I'm oft found wearing it in the spirit of make believe.

Red Hen (dette) said...

I love the blue/purple thing too and the sparkles. It helps to pop on a dress up when things are all hurly burly! I haven't listened to the cocteau twins in ages. Yep Mazy Star is very good to. For me I think I've said it before Deborah Conway's Bitch Epic was fantastic for stirring up thoughts of sterngth, hope and independence. I also like a bit of The Beautiful South. But right at this moment I'm a bit lost for a sound track!

Jo Windmill said...

For me,
Fine Young Cannibals (Funny how love is...) , Martha's Vineyard (oz 80s band) , any soundtrack from an Almodovar movie, but particularly Volver from Volver, and High Heels soundtrack.
XXX

Kirti said...

Oh I love it this is like Blogspot's Hottest 100, keep them coming!!!!