Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sitting in our little studio feeling the sweetness of the cool wind and savouring the earlier sight of a roo jumping through the gully. Everything is seeming so much more precious out here and I am feeling immense gratitude and empathy. The tears are plentiful tonight - the first time I've really had to let the events of the last 6 days sink in, having heard neighbours' stories this morning, read more media, speaking to my aunt who luckily got out of Marysville but lost her home and many friends. There's a strong bond strengthening within the community which has me realise that although I've been here for 6 months I haven't fully entered it, for various reasons. Whilst considering moving back to the city where I might feel less isolated as a single parent, I am all of a sudden feeling more connected here to the land and the people. Contemplating the many ways in which I might be of some benefit whatever I ultimately decide. These are some of the links and places I've come across via blog friends and research.


Nillumbik Shire


Donate to or foster an animal through Animal Aid

Victorian Bushfire Public Accommodation Donation Line - 1800 006 468 (8am-8pm)

To utilise your craft skills;
Knit4charities
Handmade Help
Honey Bee stores are organising care bags to go out to children in bushfire affected areas.

Register to volunteer help at GoVolunteer

Shop at Coles, Safeway and Woolworths tomorrow (Friday 13th Feb) where 100% profit will go to Bushfire aid.

And so much more that Meet Me At Mikes has comprehensively listed on their fantastic blog

I hope I'm not coming across with too much self pity. There is definitely a thread of sadness that relates to K not being here to share the emotional load, and to seeing how Beau is carrying the events of the last month. But above that I can't articulate adequately, the depth of feeling I have for everyone and every being affected, that is connecting me to the grief and pain that is felt all the time in places that are usually removed from me geographically and personally. I know everyone is experiencing the same thing and that this grieving process is important. It's wonderful to read all your posts. You are a lovely bunch indeed.

5 comments:

Silver Bee said...

i sure could do with one of those hugs of yours.

oh god please don't let Warby burn. i love that place.

thanks for the info.

biggest Love from us

Red Hen (dette) said...

Gosh I don't know what to say really apart from I feel so sad at the thought of it all and each time I see the faces of little kids on the tv I imagine their terror and that of their parents trying to keep them safe through it all. I'm glad to hear that your aunt is safe. Take care of yourself, it is certainly hard to be on your own in times of big emotional stress. x x x

Jo Windmill said...

Love to you, darling Kirti.

Esti said...

I don't know what to say. I hope people can get over the tragedy. A big hug to you and Beau.

Melissa Ellen, Honeybee Toys said...

thank you, Kirti, for help getting word out about our care bags.