Monday, March 17, 2008

Too Darn Hot.

How are you survive the heat??? Over this way we did some of this at regular intervals during the day,
which went later out here to avoid garden expiry,
and took the opportunity to wear favourite frock from M's collection whilst preparing tea on kitchen set recently aquired from garage sale,
and focus on anything that looks vaguely cool whilst trying to keep all doors to outer world closed,

and blast the air con guiltily for hours until sun down, after having spent entire day at pool with friends.

Now just home from choir practice. They pushed on through in the heat - slow songs on a sultry night. It's been so very good for me to lead the choir. I still feel ill-equipped musically a lot of the time simply because I don't have much time to put back into my own musicality. But I feel very happy out front in the role of holding things together and this is a nice surprise as I haven't had that responsibility before. Just me. Always with others or on the other side. I feel that one day I might further my music studies and that this experience will give me greater opportunities out there. I watched the film 'As it is in Heaven' last week and realised what it takes to really lead and inspire a group of people. (lay awake all night analysing myself of course, as you do) Some of it I have and some I really need to find in myself. In some ways I'd even like to just hand over to someone else and sing with them instead, as I don't get to do much singing, not with others any way. They are a gorgeous bunch.

We are singing 'She Moved through the Fair' a beautiful old Irish tune sung by anyone who's anyone in the Irish music world. (Happy St Pat's Day by the way). we have been trying to work out what the song is about, a bit of research here and there. I love it when the song becomes a bit of a journey for everyone. I t helps to soak it up and give it out in one's own way.

My father (the retired Holden Whisperer, yes) sings in a choir in WA and sings solos and lives for it. It's special for me to witness that in him. He has rediscovered a very big part of himself and gives us another point of connection. It was really special for us both for me to go to choir practice with him when I was there, and sing along with them.

2 comments:

Red Hen (dette) said...

I love the frock. It reminds me of my bantam boy at similar age. He also loved the satin skirts I wore for belly dancing. Chicky babe never wore dresses she hated them.
I wish I knew how to change the photos on your title. They always look so beautiful.

Jo Windmill said...

Oh, the heat has gone, and Autumn is here!
I loved As it is in Heaven! and really inspired me with my little adult singing group at school. We are ready for a lilting Irish ballad.
Now , I would love to hear this Irish song you are talking about!