Friday, May 16, 2008

The Domestic Goddess is In

You now those days when you feel on top of it all? (rare here but they DO happen), the washing is done, folded, put away, the house isn't completely feral, everyone managed a shower, a load of dishes has been cleared, AND wholesome soup and cake are to be had for lunch rather than hurried cheese sandwiches that only get half eaten.....I am having one today, a Domestic Goddess, patting myself on the back, hoping there will be enough left overs to have this feeling last until tomorrow evening.

The Rhubarb and apple cake is based on a recipe on which I have improvised to make it more gluten free and butter free, but it is still fluffy and moist and so damn good that last week I made it three days in a row, well on the third day I broke free and used the mix to make muffins. Wooo! It's all breath-taking excitement around here ! Cake recipe below.


Rhubarb and Apple Cake
small bunch of rhubarb washed and cut into 2cm pieces
2 medium apples peeled and grated
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup yogurt
2 and 1/4 cups flour (I use spelt mainly, which you can also mix with other flours)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (this was my substitute for butter and it rocks!)

  • Cream coconut oil and sugar
  • Beat in eggs one at a time
  • beat in yogurt
  • stir in the apple
  • fold in the flour and baking powder
  • stir in rhubarb
  • place mix into round, greased cake tin and cook for 35 to 40 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or until golden brown on top and fork comes out clean from centre.





3 comments:

Red Hen (dette) said...

I'm feeling decidedly ungodessy, suffering from the flu and too many work commitments.Your cake looks yummy. I might give it a go myself (when I feel better). Glad to hear you are heading back this way but wondering if you will still be there when we head over there?

hannna said...

oh i miss baking! a neighbor gave me some rhubarb i planted it (tried to) and took some to a friend in town. the electrician should come soon and fix the oven. sounds wonderful. it's funny how managing the householding is so rewarding. or not funny. did you decide on the area where you want to look for a house? i'm always curious about a Search for a House, we got ours by chance, without looking.

riseoutofme said...

From a failed domestic goddess .... envious looks, greedy eyes, drooling mouth and a solemn vow to try and do better tomorrow ... Now look at what you've done?

Hi Skeleton woman ... may I call you Bones?

Working my way through your posts and liking very much what I'm finding.